Mindful …about the white poison
Well I have heard it call the white poison, sugar that is.
Was a book group this week. We were talking about Mitch Albom’s new book – ‘The time keeper’. I am not a huge fan…I read ‘The five people you must meet in heaven’ and didn’t enjoy it. And I didn’t like this new one either – he is a little too simplistic, obvious and, as Rosy from bookgroup said ‘preachy’. But even a bad book has its moments. Ele (another bookgroup gal) talked about the notion of ‘being mindful’, and this book does do that – makes you stop and think about time, the passage of time and why are we also so time poor.
And that got me thinking about where I am trying to go at the moment with food and eating. I am trying to be more mindful…really watching my intake of sugar, and of alcohol.
So since Monday (it’s now Sunday afternoon) – I have had three lots of sugar…
- some sugar in some sticky chicken wings I made on Tuesday – you cannot make sticky chicken wings without some type of sugar or honey
- six shell chocolates – these I did savour – a small box of chocs that Carl gave me last weekend…
- a tahini ball – that had honey, dried fruit in it – made by a friend and again, really savoured!!
And alcohol, well
- two gin and tonics on Friday evening
- a gin and tonic and half a bottle of fizzy Pinot Noir on Saturday evening
all ingested with much mindfulness….
My next sugar hit may well be a small slice of orange creme brulee tart from Silo. This may be my mindful indulgence later this evening or tomorrow. For you see Jack’s girlfriend, the lovely Christina – works at Silo on Saturdays and often brings the most delicious bags of treats!
Not at ALL sure where this will go…but it’s kinda fun at the moment.
Filed under: Food, Reading | 2 Comments
Tags: state of mind